Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


[Bancroft House] "Blue Shutters" (aka Gilligan House )

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br05A 
Prepared Date:   1982-08-16 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:   [Bancroft House] "Blue Shutters" (aka Gilligan House ) 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   George Gilligan 5b-Address:   South Country Rd., Brookhaven, N.Y.

6a-Original:   summer residence

6b-Present:   residence

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:    «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   Beaver Dam Creek passes in front of the house
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  This house is located on South Country Road, in the hamlet of Brookhaven, on Beaver Dam Creek  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:    This house was built by Edna Woolman Chase, editor of Vogue Magazine, in the 1920s after she had spent summers in a boarding house on Beaver Dam Road (now gone). It is on the site of Hulse's Land, and near where the public watering place was on Beaver Dam Creek. (see attached [map].)  «»
19-Initial Const Date:   before 1925  
Historic and Architectural Importance

Long, low, 1 1/2 story, board and batten house with one original Jacobean-style chimney. It retains the blue shutters for which it was originally named. The house faces south toward Beaver Dam Creek. [In 2003 picture, the shutters are missing.]

[Original constructed by Ilka Chase, the editor of Vogue, and her mother. She named it "Blue Bridges." ]

After about 1928, the residence was owned by Dr. and Mrs. Frederick W. Bancroft. [Apparently, it was the Bancrofts who slightly modified the name, calling it "Blue Shutters." In 1956 the Bancrofts made it their year-around home; But in 1958, the Bancrofts were forced to return to New York City because of Dr. Bancroft's failing health. In March, 1961 the home was sold to Thomas White. The house has had several owners since, including George Gilligan.]


Bigelow, Stephanie, "Bellport and Brookhaven", 1968, p. 47
References to "Blue Shutters" and the Bancroft family frequently appeared in the Patchogue Advance.

Prepared By: 
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.  
Supplemental Material:

Patchogue Advance, 6 April 1961, p. 7:
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. White, formerly of Westbury, became owners of "Blue Shutters" on South Country Road last week. It had been the summer home for many years of Dr. and Mrs. Frederic W. Bancroft of New York City and Nova Scotia and winter home as well on Dr. Bancroft's retirement. It had formerly been the home of Ilka Chase and her mother and was originally named "Blue Bridges," The Whites have two children, Robert, 11, and Kathleen, 7. Mr. White recently purchased the Dog and Duck Restaurant in Sayville, which he will alter to include luncheon and dinners, on the supper club order. He formerly operated a packing plant. The White family had been living in Blue Shutters for four months before buying.