Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Post house - "The Homestead"

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br09B 
Prepared Date:   1975-03-10 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address:   7 Thornhedge Road

Bellport, NY 11713  
Organization:   Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
1-Building/Site Name:   Post house - "The Homestead" 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   Harry Palevsky 5b-Address:   South Country Rd., Brookhaven

6a-Original:   private home

6b-Present:   same

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   No
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when? 1909 [or 1907 (Dorothy Jones)]
11c-Alterations:   Originally close to road, later moved [original datasheet illegible ...].
[In October 1906, James H. Post moved the original homestead, located near to South Country Road, several hundred feet up a low hill away from the highway and rotated 180 degrees, such that the original front of the house became the back. Several additions were added, the most substantial being a 2-story addition on the west side which housed a new kitchen and private quarters for the servants. (Dorothy Hubert Jones).]
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   well house
15-Comment:   Carriage House still stands as Sunday School for church, on erstwhile Post Property.
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  Surrounded by old buildings.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:    Two center front windows original. Front door was in "center" of this part. Original hand hewn beams under this section. House then looked like present "Mills Clark" house [Br09F].  «»
19-Initial Const Date:   1821 or soon after (deed 1821)  
19-Builder: Calib Post  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:    «»
21-Sources: On Brookhaven 1873 map as "C. Post." (Beers Comstock map)
Patchogue Advance, 26 Oct 1906, p.3
LI Advance 2 Oct 2008, "From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago." Residence name and occupant reported.
Prepared By: 
Supplemental Material:
  [This house and surrounding estate was extensively used by the James Post family as their country home, they having another residence in Brooklyn, NY. James Post extensively improved the original Caleb Post buildings, and expanded the surrounding land holdings. The house had no central heating, and was therefore closed-up every winter. Dorothy Hubert Jones, in her commentary, indicated that the move out to Brookhaven every Spring was a major "excitement" as all the necessary accouterments, dinnerware, etc., were packed up and transported, pretty much simultaneously be both the the Post and Hubert (on the adjacent property) families. After the main house was closed up, the Posts sometimes used a smaller cottage on the estate, which they called "Postscript," for country escapes. While also without central heating, it was more easily heated by wood-burning stoves and a fireplace. (See Br09B.3)

From the 2015 Old Purchase Properties real estate listing: "Gracious colonial manor house built c. 1800. Majestic rolling lawn. 1.85 professionally landscaped acres. Large residence with 17 rooms. 7 bedrooms, 5 baths, large country kitchen with butler's pantry. Formal dining room and living room with fireplaces, parlor. Full basement and studio. Well maintained home with original floors and moldings. Secluded 20 x 44 heated pool, surrounded by new decking. Spacious screened porch. Brick patio with arbor nestled in peaceful perennial gardens." It was listed at $1,399,000.]