Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Post Carriage House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br09B.1-S 
Prepared Date:   2004-05-11 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   John Deitz
Submitter Address:   7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719  
1-Building/Site Name:   Post Carriage House 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   Old South Haven Church Parish 5b-Address:   PO Box 203, Brookhaven, NY 11719

6a-Original:   Carriage House and barn

6b-Present:   Church Hall

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   By Appointment
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   The structure has been supported on steel beams and poured concrete basement walls after 2003.
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:   Barn doors replace with personnel doors and interior remodeled for church hall use in about 1960. Building raised and basement constructed as part of conservation project in 2003-2004.  «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
View Larger Map
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   Building originally a part of the Post estate, now at its original location, but on the grounds of Old South Haven Church.
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  Used by the Old South Haven Church as a church hall.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:    Construction is typical of barn-like structures of the late 19th - early 20th centuries.  «»
19-Initial Const Date:   Reported to be about 1900  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   The carriage house was originally a part of the James Post estate (Br09B). It became the property of the Old South Haven Church (originally the Brookhaven-Southaven Parish) in 1959 when the congregation purchased the property from Elizabeth Post Morrow. In 1961, the church building in South Haven (Br09A) was moved to the site.  «»
21-Sources: Paqtchogue Advance, 25 Jun 1959 and 3 Sep 1959. Old South Haven Church Records. «»
Prepared By: 
  John Deitz  
Supplemental Material: