Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Hubert house "Whynot"

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br10 
Prepared Date:   1982-07-26 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:   Hubert house "Whynot" 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   J. McNeil, Phil Rubin 5b-Address:   same

6a-Original:   residence and barn

6b-Present:   two separate residences

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



8-Other:   asphalt siding
Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:    9a- east section
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:   Barn converted to summer residence early 1900s. Main house central section added late 19th c. and west section 1940s.  «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:  may be divided  
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   heavily wooded, on high rise overlooking road
15j-Other:   tennis court
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   working farm across the street
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  This house is located on South Country Road, formerly the Montauk Highway, in the Hamlet of Brookhaven.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:      «»
19-Initial Const Date:   east section 1830s; mid section c. 1880s  
19-Architect: Maust, architect for the west section addition  
Historic and Architectural Importance

2 1/2 story, three bay, gambrel roof, Colonial Revival house with sweeping Dutch-style roof on south façade covering wide porch with three large French windows. Second floor porch on south projecting from main roof in dormer form. 4/4 balcon fenetee windows. Lunette in attic. Brick foundation. 1 1/2 story gable roof wing on east is actually the older section, built c. 1836. Porch and dormer added later, and windows changed to 4/4. 2 1/2 story addition on NW is modern addition.

[By the early 20th century, the residence was occupied by the Dr. Nathaniel Matson, a prominent physician of Brooklyn, NY, probably as a Summer residence.]

[In 1933 it was recorded as being occupied by Philip A. Hubert and called "Whynot."]

On the NE stands a large barn, converted in early 1900s to a summer residence; it is now separately owned. [The barn-house was named "Barnstead" by the Hubert family and was used as kitchen, an "overflow" bedroom for the Hubert children as the family grew, and as a guest house. Near to "Barnstead" is a small outbuilding that the Huberts called the slave house. The Hubert family garage has, in more modern times, been modified as a guest house. Both barn and garage are currently (2004) under common ownership]

[The Hubert property originally extended from South Country Road through to Beaverdam Rd., and included about 25 acres. It included several other dwellings, including one for his son, Philip A. Hubert, Jr. and a small cottage near Beaver Dam Road for the pianist Carol Robinson, where she lived after she had to vacate the cottage down near Beaverdam Creek (Br09E); this house subsequently was destroyed by fire and a modern house is now on the site. Also on the estate were several barns and outbuildings, some of which have been converted to residences.]

[There is evidence, such as 19th century maps and newspaper notes, that suggest that the original "core" section of the modern house and out buildings were originally the home and farmstead for the Cornelius Corson family, farmers who settled in Brookhaven Hamlet about 1858, perhaps around the time of Cornelius' marriage. More research is required to determine the early 19th century history,]

21-Sources: Atlas of the Ocean Shore of Suffolk, L.I. easterly section, Vol. I, Pl. 10, E. Belcher-Hyde, 1915.
LI Advance 2 Oct 2008, From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago. Residence name and occupant reported.
LI Advance 1 Oct 2009. From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago. "Mr. And Mrs Philip A. Hubert and family have closed 'Whynot' and returned to their Brooklyn residence. They will open their smaller cottage, 'Barnstead,' for weekends."
Prepared By: 
  Ellen Williams, research assistant  
Supplemental Material: