Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Furst-Brown house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br24A 
Prepared Date:   1982-08-16 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:   Furst-Brown house 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   Hugh N. Brown 5b-Address:   301 Beaver Dam Rd., Brookhaven

6a-Original:   residence

6b-Present:   residence

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:    «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   three acres land
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  This house is located on Beaver Dam Road, which was first opened in 1735.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:      «»
19-Initial Const Date:   c. 1925 [Janet Reddall indicated that it was built by Clyde Furst between 1910 and 1915  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   2 1/2 story, 5 bay, center entrance, gable roof house with two end chimneys, 6/6 windows, brick foundation, and cornice and pilasters at front entrance. Two quarter fan windows at each gable end in attic, lean-to shaped wing on northeast rear contains kitchen. Pent roof screened porch on west side. This house is typical of summer residences built on this road before the war. All are based on traditional Long Island designs, and consciously built to blend with the vernacular houses dating from the early 1800s already along Beaver Dam road. Please see Br24, Br30, and Br26A.  «»
21-Sources: *Alfred Nelson, 340 Beaver Dam Road, Brookhaven, longtime local resident.

Janet Reddall in "A talk on the History of Brookhaven Hamlet, given by Janet Reddall and Alfred Nelson to the members of the Brookhaven Library Association on April 17, 1983 at the Annual Meeting of the Library Association." seehttps://brookhavensouthaven.org/historical-sketches/history-of-brookhaven-hamlet-a-dialog-by-janet-reddall-alfred-nelson/

22-Theme:   residential  
Prepared By: 
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.  
Supplemental Material: