Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


[Deacon Daniel] Hawkins-Johanknect house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br24B 
Prepared Date:   1975-03-10 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address:   7 Thornhedge Road

Bellport, NY 11713  
Organization:   Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
1-Building/Site Name:   [Deacon Daniel] Hawkins-Johanknect house 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   Mrs. Edwin Johanknecht [1975] 5b-Address:   same

6a-Original:   private home

6b-Present:   same

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   no
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when? by Frederick Kost, October 1906
11c-Alterations:   [Some report that extensive remodeling occurred after the move.]  «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:      «»
19-Initial Const Date:    
19-Builder: by Azel Hawkins, then lived in by Deacon Daniel Hawkins  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   [Frederick W. Kost purchased the property on which the house is presently sited in May 1906 from George Barteau. At approximately the same time, he acquired the house structure itself, which was originally sited on the north side of Beaverdam Rd., one lot further west (now the site of the Thomas Morrow house, Br25), but it had been moved to a site on the south side of the street sometime earlier. In October 1906, Kost moved it again to his recently purchased property, and remodeled it. Kost occupied the house until he died in 1923, residing there full time from 1920 until his death in 1923. Kost was a National Academy artist, who it is said to have made many beautiful alterations to the interior.]  «»
21-Sources: Shown as across the street from present location on Beers Comstock 1873 map of Brookhaven "D. H. Hawkins."
Patchogue Advance, 25 May 1906, establishes the purchase date.
Patchogue Advance, 26 October 1906, establishes date Kost moved the house to its present site.
Prepared By: 
Supplemental Material:
  [The chronology as recorded on the back of a photograph at the Post-Morrow Foundation: Originally on N. side Beaver Dam Rd. Owned by Geo. Hawkins [son of Deacon Daniel Hawkins who built house] Bought by Thos I Morrow Sr. & house Bought by Thompson and moved to S. Side of road. Bought by Fred W. Kost & moved south and east to present site Bought by Ed Johanknecht]