Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Scordamaglia House [Corrigan House]

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br26A 
Prepared Date:   1982-08-16 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:   Scordamaglia House [Corrigan House] 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   Dr. Louis Scordamaglia [1982] 5b-Address:   Beaver Dam Rd., Brookhaven, N.Y.

6a-Original:   residence

6b-Present:   residence

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:   [The conservatory on the east side of the house is a relatively new addition.]  «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  This house is located on Beaver Dam Road, which was first opened in 1735  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:    The bricks used in this house were the foundation of the John Ireland house, located on this site, built in 1836 and torn down by W. Corrigan to construct this house. The John Ireland house in turn had replaced the Rose homestead. The Rose Cemetery is located in the fields behind this property.  «»
19-Initial Const Date:   c. 1935 [likely before 1930, as the 1930 census lists their residency on Beaverdam Rd. at a location consistent with the present house.]  
19-Builder: [Walter E. Corrigan, partner with Vernon S.Tiger in the large Tiger Nursery farm that stretched from their homes on Beaverdam Road to the marshes of the bay to the south. Vernon Tiger's home has Historic Site ID Br27A.]  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   Large 2 1/2 story, 5 bay, center entrance, gable roof house with a formal façade on both north and south. This house is an example of estate architecture using Georgian details which give it a "Colonial" aspect. The original owner [Corrigan] used the bricks from the 1836 house built at this site by John Ireland, a President of the L.I. Railroad, and married to the daughter of Nichol Floyd. Some of the interior details are also taken from the Ireland house (demolished).  «»
21-Sources: Bigelow, Stephanie, "Bellport and Brookhaven," 1968, pp. 31 and 64 «»
22-Theme:   residential  
Prepared By: 
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.  
Supplemental Material:
  From the Long Island Advance, 2 October 2003. Page 13. "Splendid memories of Elia Kazan" By Frank S. Costanza Though most know director Elia Kazan's triumphs in the Broadway production of "Death of a Salesman" and Academy Award-winning film "On the Waterfront. locals probably can recall his filming of another famous movie in their back yard. Kazan and American playwright William Inge spent the summer of 1960 filming scenes from "Splendor in the Grass" on almost 200 acres of land in Brookhaven hamlet. Kazan, who also directed "A Streetcar Named Desire," "The Skin of Our Teeth," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and "J.B." and won Oscars for directing "Gentleman's Agreement" and "On the Waterfront," died on Sunday in his Manhattan home. He was 94. The Brookhaven hamlet property, which was the former site of the Tiger Nurseries, was transformed into an unkempt Kansas oilfield for the filming of "Splendor in the Grass." The scene was created to convey the general atmosphere of the Great Depression that followed the heydays of the 1920s. According to an "Advance" article dating from August 11, 1960, the site on Beaver Dam Road was selected because of its resemblance to Kansas. Charles H. Maguire, assistant producer and unit manager of the film, lived in West Islip and cruised across Long Island in search of the perfect place to film "Splendor in the Grass. Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty starred in the leading roles of the movie. The story is about a boy and girl, who is losing each other, find themselves. The story is set between 1928 and 1932. Warner Brothers released the movie in 1961. Though no local actors were featured in the film, five locals inhabitants of the Brookhaven area had minor roles in "Splendor in the Grass." Five 18 month-old, white-faced Herefords belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth B. Hand of the Suffolk Game Preserve Lodge [now South Haven Park] were featured in the film.