If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
|
|
Inventory Code: |
|
Br30C |
Prepared Date: |
|
1975-03-10 |
Last Modified: |
|
1970-01-01 |
|
Original Submitter |
|
|
Submitter Name: |
Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow |
Submitter Address: |
7 Thornhedge Road
Bellport, NY 11713
|
Organization: |
Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
|
|
Identification |
|
|
1-Building/Site Name: |
Miller House and Farm (Allardt/Geraghty house) |
2a-County: |
Suffolk |
2b-Town: |
Brookhaven |
2c-Village: |
Hamlet of Brookhaven
|
3-Street Location: |
|
|
Ownership |
|
|
4a-Public
|
4b-Private
|
|
5a-Present Owner:
Frederick E. Allardt
|
5b-Address:
Fireplace Rd., Brookhaven
|
|
|
Use |
|
|
6a-Original:
farmhouse, post office
|
6b-Present:
private home
|
|
Accessibility |
|
|
7a-Visible From Road
|
|
7b-Interior Accessible
|
|
7b-Interior Comment:
|
|
|
Building Materials |
|
|
8a-Clapboard
|
|
8b-Stone
|
|
8c-Brick
|
|
8d-Board & Batten
|
|
8e-Cobblestone
|
|
8f-Shingles |
|
8g-Stucco
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
8-Other:
|
Structural System |
|
|
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
|
9b-Wood Frame Light Members:
|
9c-Masonry:
|
9d-Metal
|
|
|
9d-Metal
Comment:
|
9e-Other
|
|
|
9e-Other Comment:
|
|
Condition |
|
|
10a-Excellent
|
10b-Good
|
10c-Fair
|
10d-Deteriorated
|
|
Integrity |
|
|
11a-Original Site
|
11b-Moved
|
If so, when? |
|
11c-Alterations:
[The north portion of the house was added after 1815 by Nathaniel Miller, Jr. (1815-1896).]
«»
|
|
Photo & Map
|
|
|
12-Photo |
|
13-Map |
|
|
Threats |
|
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary
Survey. They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
|
14a-None
Known:
|
14b-Zoning
|
14c-Roads
|
14d-Developers
|
14e-Deterioration
|
14f-Other:
|
14-Comment:
|
|
Related Outbuildings and Property |
|
|
15a-Barn
|
15b-Carriage House
|
15c-Garage
|
15d-Privy
|
15e-Shed
|
15f-Greenhouse
|
15g-Shop
|
15h-Gardens
|
15i-Landscape Features
|
15i-Landscape Features:
Williamsburg type gardens
|
15j-Other:
blacksmith shop (originally Dr. Miller's
|
15-Comment:
|
|
Surroundings of the Building |
|
|
16a-Open Land
|
16b-Woodland
|
16c-Scattered Bldgs.
|
|
16d-Densely Built-up
|
16e-Commercial
|
16f-Industrial
|
|
16g-Residential
|
16h-Other:
picket fence
|
|
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings |
|
|
|
Other Notable Features of Building and Site |
|
|
|
Significance |
|
|
19-Initial
Const Date:
|
South portion (with entry facing south) built 1815 for Dr. Nathaniel Miller
|
19-Architect: |
|
19-Builder: |
|
|
Historic and Architectural Importance |
|
|
20-Importance: |
House faced south, not road. Front door center of present porch. Dr. Miller had built the cellar of heavy wood, like a barge, to keep water out when the brook overflowed. Post office 1818, 1829, 1849.
«»
|
|
Sources |
|
|
21-Sources: |
on 1858 map of "Fireplace", "Dr. N. Miller" (Chace).
On Brookhaven 1873 map, as "N. Miller res."
Pictured in "Bellport-Brookhaven" book published 1968 by Bellport Brookhaven Historical Society.
** ["Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1949."]
«»
|
|
Theme |
|
|
|
Prepared By: |
|
|
|
Supplemental Material: |
|
|
** [George Perley Morse indicates -- "Home built by Dr. Nathaniel Miller who came from a place called Springs, near East Hampton. Elijah and Abigail were his father and mother, and he was born April 17, 1784. Doctor Miller's wife was the daughter of Sarah and Col. John Havens. Two of the children were born (Mary and Nathaniel) were born about 1815 in the house of Elizabeth Ellison, while the doctor was building his home. "The picture shows the older part of the home, which regardless of the road, faced south. The doctor built a cellar under the house of heavy wood like a barge, to keep water out, because the location was near the level of the brook. "The Millers maintained a complete and independent farm, including a blacksmith shop and a yoke of oxen. They raised and trapped trout from their trout ponds, placed them in barrels with duck weed and shipped them to the city. "Doctor Miller was the third postmaster of Fireplace in 1818, and was postmaster again in 1829 and 1849. Their home was no doubt the post office at the time. "Nathaniel Miller (2nd) married Ellen Carman, Daughter of Catherine Homan and Sam Carman (2nd). They had three sons, Fred, N. Clinton and George. Nathaniel Miller worked the farm and also held various local official jobs. He built the north addition to the home. "Nathaniel kept a diary and when his mother died September 11, 1863, he wrote 'She has gone to that home which she lived to be worthy of.' Of Big Tom Ellison he wrote, 'March 31, 1867, Mr. Ellison died. We have lost a good kind neighbor.' "N. Clinton Miller was married and lived on the north side of Beaver Dam Road. He had no children. "Fred Miller married Julia Ashby and had a son named Fred. The second Fred married Lillian Field, and they had a son named Fred. The third Fred married the daughter of Thomas Lyons. They now (1959) live in the old homestead. "NOTES: Mrs. Jane Lightbody's grandmother was Sarah Havens. Also Mrs. Lightbody was a twin sister of Julia Ashby. "Catherine Homan was the daughter of Joseph Homan and Elizabeth Hawkins. "Dr. Miller's box of medicines is in the Suffolk County Historical Society Building at Riverhead."
|
|