Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Breckenridge house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Inventory Code:   Br32 
Prepared Date:   1982-09-09 
Last Modified:   1970-01-01 
Original Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:   Breckenridge house 
2a-County:   Suffolk    2b-Town:   Brookhaven    2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:    
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:    5b-Address:   

6a-Original:   residence

6b-Present:   residence

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment
Building Materials



 8d-Board & Batten



8-Other:   horizontal board ("novelty board")
Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other Comment:   
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:   This house reportedly was taken off a high foundation. It was moved from South Country Road to its present location.  «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:  This house is located on Fireplace Neck Road near the site of the first school built in 1802. [And adjacent to the Hulse Cemetery.]  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:    This house marked Breckenridge in 1873 was located on South Country Road, next west of the Clark house (Br9F). In 1858, it belonged to J. Davies.  «»
19-Initial Const Date:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   1 1/2 story, 3 bay, side entrance plan, high roof plate, gable roof house with 3 small windows under the eaves in wide frieze, and pilasters at corners. Front entrance with pilasters and cornice (sunburst added) and heavy paneled door. 6/6 windows.  «»
21-Sources: Book of photographs of old Fireplace, collected by George Morse formerly of Beaver Dam Road, Repository: Brookhaven Free Library. Atlas of L.I., N.Y., by F.W. Beers, New York: Beers, Comstock and Cline, 1873, inset p. 171 ** ["Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." Repository: Post-Morrow Foundation, RG1 Series 10. «»
22-Theme:   residential  
Prepared By: 
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.  
Supplemental Material:
  ** [George Perley Morse indicates -- "This house was the home of Sam Breckenridge (Sam Bumstead's grandfather) who came from Brooklyn, N. Y. and first lived down Mott's Lane on the old Mott farm. The house stood on north side of South Country Road about opposite the old Seaman farm. It is shown on map of 1873 as west of D. M. Clark. Note that it was built somewhat like a 'city' house. "The top part of this house is now located on Fireplace Neck Road, next to the Hulse Cemetery, and is now the home of Miss Frances Hand."]