Archeological Site Inventory Form

Return to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period. Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Original Site Brookhaven Fire Department

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.




Click for

Photos and images
Other Links
Printer Friendly


Submitter Name:
John Deitz
Submitter Address:
7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719


Original Site Brookhaven Fire Department
Hamlet of Brookhaven


4a-Public Site
4b-Private Site

Historic and Architectural Importance

This was the site of the first fire house for the Brookhaven Fire Department, founded May 10th, 1923.

July 26th, 1926
Contract was signed with the Brown Brothers for $2,216.92 for construction of the first fire house.

October 5th, 1926
Ground broken for the Fire House. Mike Gillespie did the excavating with a horse drawn scoop shovel.

Patchogue Advance, 19 Dec 1941, p. 12: 15 Years Ago—Dec 14, 1926
"The new Brookhaven firehouse will be open for inspection and an old-time housewarming held tonight. The building, which stands on Railroad place [modern Bridge street], near Montauk highway [modern South Country road] is a frame structure 48 feet by 24 feet, one story high. John H. Morton, Samuel Bird and George Reeve onstitute the fire committee. George Waldron is chief and Fred D. Swezey, assistant chief."

December 15th, 1945
Fire house burns down with complete loss of both the houses and all equipment. All records were also lost except for the minutes of the four years of the company which John Morton had neglected to place in the fire house.

6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site

6a-Standing Ruins
6b-Cellar Hole with Walls
6c-Surface Traces Visible
6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
6e-Under Cultivation
6h-No Visible Evidence

7- Collection of Material from Site

7a- Surface Hunting

8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date

9-Historical Documentation of Site

History of the Brookhaven Fire Department, http://www.brookhavenfd.com/history.htm

10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance


12- Map Location

[If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]

12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name:

12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:

12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:

12d- D.O.T. Coordinates: (if known):

Other Maps:

13- Photographs

Photos and images

Supplemental Material

Prepared By

John Deitz