Archeological Site Inventory Form

Return to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period. Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Ellison House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.




Click for

Photos and images
Other Links
Printer Friendly


Submitter Name:
Submitter Address:



Ellison House
Hamlet of Brookhaven


4a-Public Site
4b-Private Site

Historic and Architectural Importance

Thomas Ellison was an early 19th century resident of Fire Place, and the Proprietor of the what is now known as the Brook Store.

6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site

6a-Standing Ruins
6b-Cellar Hole with Walls
6c-Surface Traces Visible
6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
6e-Under Cultivation
6h-No Visible Evidence

7- Collection of Material from Site

7a- Surface Hunting

8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date

9-Historical Documentation of Site

From "Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." 1873 Beers map of Brookhaven Hamlet. On the 1873 map it is labeled "Mrs. J. Ellison." It is uncertain who she might have been -- but likely Thomas Ellison's wife, Serifita (b. abt 1813). Thomas' middle initial was "J." She may have taken his middle name as her married name. It is unlikely to have been Thomas' mother, Elizabeth (b. 1785/1786), as her husband's name was Richard.

10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance



It was in bad repair when it was destroyed by fire in 1952

12- Map Location

[If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]

12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name:

12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:

12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:

12d- D.O.T. Coordinates: (if known):

Other Maps:

13- Photographs

Photos and images

Supplemental Material

Prepared By

John Deitz