From Bigelow, p. 44.
"A Brookhaven boarding house of note the Edgewater Inn, run by Mrs. Rachel D'Arcas. It had been the Smith Rose home, built in 1820. Among her guests were Mme. Maeterlinck, Conde Nast, Edna Woolman Chase and Frank Crowninshield. The Inn was completely destroyed by fire about 1930 [actuall 4 Apr 1928]. There were about a dozen boarding houses in Brookhaven during the early 1900's The Bedetty House on the corner of Bay and Beaver Dam road was considered very fine, and also the Swan Hotel."
Patchogue Advance, 6 April 1928, page 1.
Fire Destroys Edgewater Inn
Mysterious Blaze Razes Brookhaven Hostelry
Well Known Hotel and Adjacent Bungalow Burned Wednesday Morning—Three Departments Send Help
Fire started apparently in the rear kitchen of Edgewater Inn, an old and noted hostelry on Beaver Dam road, Brookhaven, early Wednesday morning swept rapidly through the large rambling frame structure and left it two hours later only a mass of embers and twisted metal marked by two partly collapsed chimneys. A small bungalow on the property was also burned down. The place had not been occupied for some months.
The Brookhaven fireman turned out strong and fast, and made a lively fight to save some part of the inn, but as they had only chemicals and no running water supply their efforts were hopeless, excepting to protecting the neighboring property, and a garage on the premises which was threatened. Some furniture was saved. Calls for assistance from Patchogue, Mastic and Bellport fire companies brought a prompt response, one of the pumpers going from here [Patchogue], but the men had little to do but stand by for emergency. It was a rather still, moonlight night.
The origin of the fire is suspicious as there was no stove lighted or other likely cause. A plumber had been there Monday to take out a furnace. The fire was discovered at 1 o'clock by some young people out riding. The late Mrs. Rachael de Arcas owned and conducted the inn as a prosperous summer resort for 27 years and four years ago it was sold to Campbell Forbes. The following year he sold it to Mrs. Herbert Wickam of Hewlett, who moved out a year ago. The main house contained 25 rooms, with a dining room seating 50. The property was involved in a foreclosure proceeding and the contents had been advertised for sale.