Archeological Site Inventory Form

Return to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period. Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Jesse Rose - Selah Hawkins Hawkins House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.




Click for

Photos and images
Other Links
Printer Friendly


Submitter Name:
John Deitz
Submitter Address:
7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719


Jesse Rose - Selah Hawkins Hawkins House
Hamlet of Brookhaven


4a-Public Site
4b-Private Site
Abt 305 Beaver Dam Rd

Historic and Architectural Importance

6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site

6a-Standing Ruins
6b-Cellar Hole with Walls
6c-Surface Traces Visible
6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
6e-Under Cultivation
6h-No Visible Evidence

7- Collection of Material from Site

7a- Surface Hunting

8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date

9-Historical Documentation of Site

According to George Perley Morse -- "Jesse Rose (1738-1821) bought land of Thomas Helme in 1780. His son-in-law Selah Hawkins [1775-1861] purchased or took over the farm and homestead in 1818, Jesse being then 80 years old. Selah Hawkins died in 1861 and his two sons Lewis [1804-1887] and Harmon[Herman, 1813-1903] inherited the farm.

"This house was cut in half and one half was moved about 300 yards to the east, and was built on-to to its original size by Harmon Hawkins. The Lewis Hawkins home stood opposite Miss Ella Hawkins home on Beaver Dam Road and close to the road. It was destroyed by fire [in the early 20th century]. The original barn stood until 1952."

10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance


12- Map Location

[If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]

12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name:

12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:

12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:

12d- D.O.T. Coordinates: (if known):

Other Maps:

13- Photographs

Photos and images

Supplemental Material

Prepared By

John Deitz