Copy of "Old Brook Store, A Building of Many Years". Long Island Heritage, July 1982. P.42.
Picture from "Long Island Heritage," October, 1981, page 21.
Copy of map showing Beaver Dam Creek in the hamlet of Brookhaven (then called Fireplace) with the Valentine store shown in its original location. As H. Bishop owned the store at least until 1873, this map may be dated between 1873 and 1902. "From leather-bound book of legal cases of Judge J. Lawrence Smith."
[Big Tom Ellison and his mother ran the original store and tavern during the early 1800's. In 1860 the store was purchased by Hallack Bishop and rebuilt. The store and adjacent house were later purchased by Charles Valentine who ran it with Forrest Reeves. At this time the store included a post office. The property became known as "Valentines Corner" and "Valentine's Brook." When Mr. Noble purchased the property in 1916, he moved the house to 3 Fire Place Neck Road (Historic Structure ID Br30B), and the store, by then called the "Brook Store," to its present location at 378 South Country Road.
Adapted from "Bellport Village and Brookhaven Hamlet" by Victor Principe.]
[Patchogue Advance, 4 May 1945, p. 10: "Thomas Lyons has opened the former Valentine Store as a general store."]
[Letter, Osborne Shaw, Brookhaven Town Historian, to Thomas Lyons, 5 September 1956, Post Morrow Foundation Heritage Collection, Post Morrow Foundation, Brookhaven, NY 11719.: In August 1947, Thomas Lyons was appointed postmaster for Brookhaven hamlet, which duties were conducted from the Brook Store. Thomas Lyons was still the proprietor of the Brook Store in 1956, when the letter was written.]