Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.
Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.
Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.
Building-Structure Inventory Form
H. Raynor house
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Town Hall 205 S. Ocean Ave. Patchogue, NY 11772 631-634-7806
Brookhaven Community Development Agency
H. Raynor house
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
Beaver Dam Road, Brookhaven
7a-Visible From Road
8d-Board & Batten
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
This house is located on South country Road, formerly Montauk Highway, in the hamlet of Brookhaven.
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
This house belonged to H. Raynor in 1873 [likely Henry Raynor]. Probably Raynor in 1858. [There was no H. Raynor in either the 1850 or 1860 censuses, making it likely he came to the community after 1860. Henry Raynor appears in the 1880 census, adjacent to Edward Raynor. In 1858, adjacent to the south of this house, at the corner of South Country and Beaverdam Roads, was the Edward S. Raynor store. Edward and family was found in the 1850, 1860 and 1880 censuses. Henry and Edward Raynor are likely related, probably brothers.]
Historic and Architectural Importance
Two story, three bay on first floor, two bay on second floor, side entrance plan, gable roof house with one story gable roof wing on east and small bevelly jog on west rear. Brick foundation, 6/6 windows. Two story vertical board carriage house in rear.
Atlas of Long Island, NY, by F. W. Beers, New York: Beers, Comstock & Cline, 1873
Map of Suffolk county, by J. Chace, New York: 1858