Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.
Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.
Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.
Building-Structure Inventory Form
Selah [Herman] Hawkins house
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Town Hall 205 S. Ocean Ave. Patchogue, NY 11772 631-634-7806
Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Selah [Herman] Hawkins house
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
Thomas B. Williams
311 Beaver Dam Road, north side
7a-Visible From Road
8d-Board & Batten
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
9b-addition on rear
2 1/2 story addition on NE rear c. 1913. Enclosed porch on east c. 1913
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
This house is located on Beaver Dam Road, which was first opened in 1735.
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
Selah Hawkins inherited this house, or part of it, from his father-in-law, Jesse Rose in 1821. It is marked on the 1836 map.
Historic and Architectural Importance
1 1/2 story, 5 bay, center entrance, high roof plate, gable roof house with two end chimneys. Four small windows under the eaves on south (font) façade. Original 6/6 windows with most old glass remaining. Greek revival cornice over front door. Brick foundation. Circular brick cellar under east half.
2 1/2 story, gable roof section of another house added in 1913 at rear; also an enclosed porch on east side, in colonial Revival style, marked 1913.
2 Story barn c. 1850 in rear. Corncrib c. 1790.*
*Date given by unnamed source from Bethpage Village Restoration.
United States Coast Survey Map of the South Coast of Long Island, by C. Renard, 1836. Repository: Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. (Section between Patchogue and Smith Point).
Map of Suffolk County, by J. Chase, New York: 1858.
** ["Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." Repository: Post-Morrow Foundation, RG1, Series 10.]
Ellen Williams, research assistant.
** [According to George Perley Morse -- "Jesse Rose (1738-1821) bought land of Thomas Helme in 1780. His son-in-law Selah Hawkins [1775-1861] purchased or took over the farm and homestead in 1818, Jesse being then 80 years old. Selah Hawkins died in 1861 and his two sons Lewis [1804-1887] and Harmon[Herman, 1813-1903] inherited the farm.
"This house was cut in half and one half was moved about 300 yards to the east, and was built on-to to its original size by Harmon [Herman] Hawkins. The Lewis Hawkins home stood opposite Miss Ella Hawkins home on Beaver Dam Road and close to the road [about 305 Beaver Dam Rd.]. It was destroyed by fire. The original barn stood until 1952.
See Certain Map dated 1873 by Beers, Comstock & Cline, N.Y.
Selah Hawkins (the elder) was Miss Ella Rose Hawkins' great-grandfather. Selah -> Lewis -> Selah ->Ella Rose]
In 1895, Herman and Harriet Hawkins deeded the property to their daughter Irene.]