Click on image for enlarged view.
Morse comments: "Seaman house as it originally looked before dormer windows were added. Dormers were added when house became over-night stage stop half-way between New York and Montauk.
[Morse's comments raise questions. If he was correct, that the dormers were added when the building became an overnigt stage stop, then the picture would likely predate the extension of the South Side rail road from Patchogue eastward in 1881. And it would likely be much earlier than that; the main line to Greeport was completed in 1844 with a station in Yaphank instituted in 1845. The South Side Rail Road line to Patchogue was completed in 1869. After those dates, Brookhaven and Bellport would most likely have been serviced by "station" stages, and it would seem that there would be no need for a long distance stage with overnight lodging stops.]
Morse comments: "Old Seaman house before it was moved back to Fire Place Creek [Beaver Dam Creek]; now the home of William Hanaway.
"Captain Seaman came from England in 1635, bringing eight sons and eight daughters, and settled in Hempstead. His descendant John Seaman came to Brookhaven about 1779. The original name was Symonds or Simond of Danish origin and was changed to Seaman in this country."