Click on image for enlarged view.
About 1920, then member Anson W. Hard purchased the outstanding shares in the club from other members, and used the property as a private estate. After WW I, Anson's son Kenneth established a hunting and fishing lodge, known as the Suffolk Lodge Game Preserve. It later became the first Suffolk County public park.
This structure was the Suffolk Club house at the time Anson Hard became the sole owner. He had this building razed, and from the timbers and lumber, had a family residence built. Pictures of that structure are not extant.
That residence burned in 1936, and was replace by this present structure which was used by the Hard's as their residence and game preserve lodge until the property was purchased by Suffolk County. It is now the headquarters of the Suffolk County Park police.
It was probably taken from near the original mill dam (before the construction of Sunrise Highway), looking north. The little promontory may be still there -- as well as the ducks.
In the early 1920's, Anson W. Hard bought the outstanding shares of the Suffolk Club from the remaining members as a personal hunting lodge for himself and close friends. The estate was known as "Fire Place." The old club house was razed, and a modern residence built using timbers of the lodge before it. Anson died in 1935, and his wife Florence and the six children inherited the lodge and estate.
In 1936, the Anson Hard residence was destroyed by fire.
In 1937 this building was erected, and became the principal family residence.
After WW II, when son Kenneth Hard returned from the war, the family turned the estate over to him. Under Kenneth's tutelage, it became a public sportsman's club known as the Suffolk Lodge Game Preserve, having deer, duck and pheasant on the property, some of which were raised on the property itself.
The land was eventually sold to Suffolk County for $2,500,000 and became the county's first public park. The house itself stayed a private residence for a while and an attempt was made to make it a bed and breakfast; but it too eventually was sold to the county where it became the County's Park Police headquarters.