August 1907: Through the generosity of Mr. [Malcolm] Fraser and Mr. [James] Post, Fire Place Creek is being cleared out from Beaver Dam [Road] to the bay.
Patchogue Advance, 1 Oct 1929, p.4:
The land owners on each side of Beaver Dam creek held a meeting Saturday evening for the purpose of dredging the creek from the Beaver Dam bridge to the bay. Those present at the meeting were August L. Starke, Sr., James H. Post, Raymond Storb, Thomas Morrow, Jr., Preston Smith, and Mr. Cross. This will be a great improvement for Brookhaven as it will be a fine harbor for motorboats to run into for winter as neither Brookhaven nor Bellport have a harbor. Several other land owners, who live in the city, are interested in the dredging but were unable to attend the meeting.
It is interesting to note the simpler age. Today, such ad hoc dredging likely could not be done today without many governmental reviews and permits, and perhaps not allowed at all. While the Town of Brookhaven likely "owned" the creek bottom (at least the tidal portion), they appear not to have been at all involved in the project.
Patchogue Advance, 12 November 1929, p. 2.
For several weeks the property owners along Bay Avenue and Beaver Dam Road in Brookhaven have met Saturday evenings to discuss and plan on having the creek known as Beaver Dam creek dredged out from the bay to Beaver Dam Road, a distance of one and one-half miles, and they plan to build a breakwater in the bay. Frank Corwin has been appointed overseer.
Plans are not yet complete, though bids have been received from various dredging companies. This will make a fine stream and enhance the beauty of Brookhaven. The property owners along the stream are Messrs. Raymound Staub, Thomas Morrow, Jr., James H. Post, Clinton Smith, Preston Smith, George Miller, John Reddall, Messrs. Frudenthall Cross and August L. Starke. The improvements will also provide winter quarters for many boats.
Half of the creek has been dredged out and boat owners are getting their craft ready to sail up and down the creek which no one has been able to do for 30 years. The creek is to be made 40 feet wide and six feet deep. (Advance, 2 May 1930, p. 9)
[Abt 1953: Plane Crashes into Great South Bay off Fireplace Creek.
From the Archives of the Long Island Advance, 30 August 2007.
About 1953: "A big plane took a nosedive into the bay off Fireplace Creek; the two aviators escaped serious injury. Next day their comrades from Montauk came up and salvaged the machine."
From the Archives of the Long Island Advance - 50 Years Ago. July 31, 2003.