Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Return to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form




Click for

Photos and images
Other Links
Printer Friendly


Submitter Name:
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:
Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772
Brookhaven Community Development Agency


Southaven Cemetery (Presbyterian Church)
Hamlet of Southaven


A small local cemetery standing some yards south of Montauk Highway on east side of private road to Robinson's Duck Farm. The Presbyterian Church, now moved to Brookhaven hamlet to save it from demolition [I do not believe this was the reason for the move], stood facing north just north of this cemetery. It is not fenced [it now has a split rail fence]. Only seven stones are left standing. There is periodic vandalism. For information on the church, see BH10A.


A good example of a small church cemetery. It has lain here since the time of the founding of the Church in 1740.

5- Map

N.Y.S. DOT Bellport Quad


"Map of the County of Suffolk" by David M. Burr, published by the Surveyor General, New York: Rawdon, Wright & Co., 1997?. Repository: Floyd House, Mastic, New York.

7-Threats to Area

By Zoning
By Roads
By Developers
By Deterioration
Other: by Vandalism

8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area

Residents express regret over deterioration, but cannot stop vandalism.


Photos and images

Prepared By

Ellen Williams, research assistant

Supplemental Material

Eugene L. Armbruster, "Landmarks on the Montauk Highway," 1925. P. 11: "THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH shingled and painted white, was built about 1740 and rebuilt in 1828, the old frame being used and enlarged. The church yard in the rear, 50 by 100 feet, contains a score of tombstones."