The information in this form is based on information in the original South Shore Estuary Survey. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are enclosed either in [square brackets] or are clearly indicated as updates in the text.. Since the surveys were conducted in the Summer of 2004, the information reflects that time period unless otherwise noted. Because the South Shore Estuary Survey report format is not entirely consistent with the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey formats, there are a few additional fields on this page not found on the original forms. The original South Shore Estuary Survey Report is available as a PDF document by clicking on the below.
South Shore Estuary Survey Form
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.
382 Main Street
Port Washington, NY 11050 516-767-8803
Long Island Traditions, Inc
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
David Ebner (2004)
5 Newey Ln.
7a-Visible From Road
Greek Revival, with early twentieth century and modern alteratio
The building at 5 Newey Lane sits on the east side of Newey Lane. Two outbuildings are located in the rear (east) lot. The larger structure is front-gabled with a concrete block foundation, flat roof addition, and clad with painted wood shingles. It has paired one-over-one double-hung sash windows, two half-glazed roll-up garage doors, and a metal corrugated panel roof. The smaller structure has a shed roof with a dropped secondary roof, vertical board siding, casement windows, and an asphalt shingle roof.
gable louvers, vertical plank shutters, and metal awnings
8d-Board & Batten
painted wood shingle, sawed, coursed
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
cross-gabled roof with hipped-roof façade addition
asphalt shingle, plain
Chicago window, frieze band (eyebrow), paired one-over-one double-hung sash, and six-over-six double-hung sash windows
north elevation and rear (east) entries, both with metal awnings
exterior painted concrete block end-wall chimney on rear (east) elevation
There is a one-story façade (west) addition with half- hipped roof that wraps around to the south elevation of the building.
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
Historic and Architectural Importance
According to the 1888 Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven [and the 1915 E. Belcher Hyde map of Brookhaven Hamlet], William Murdock resided in the building presently located at 5 Newey Lane. Robert H. Lyons III, current Bellport Village Trustee, remembered Bill Murdock from his youth as a bayman.
In addition, current homeowner, David Ebner, stated that Stanley Grodeski, a boat carpenter who worked with Captain Samuel W. Newey in his shipyard, lived in this residence. Grodeski was still building boats in 1968 when Stephanie S. Bigelow’s book, Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase South, was published [in 1968.]
[Current homeowner David Ebner is a well known artist specializing in woodworking and furniture.]
Beers, F.W. Atlas of Long Island (1873).
Bigelow, Stephanie S. Bellport and Brookhaven: A Saga of the Sibling Hamlets at Old Purchase
South. Bellport, NY: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New
York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985.
Lyons, Robert H. III, interview by author, Jayme Breschard. Telephone interview, 14 July
Wendelkyn & Co. Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven. 1888.