The information in this form is based on information in the original South Shore Estuary Survey. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are enclosed either in [square brackets] or are clearly indicated as updates in the text.. Since the surveys were conducted in the Summer of 2004, the information reflects that time period unless otherwise noted. Because the South Shore Estuary Survey report format is not entirely consistent with the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey formats, there are a few additional fields on this page not found on the original forms. The original South Shore Estuary Survey Report is available as a PDF document by clicking on the below.
South Shore Estuary Survey Form
St. James Parsonage
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.
382 Main Street
Port Washington, NY 11050 516-767-8803
Long Island Traditions, Inc
St. James Parsonage
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
St. James Episcopel Church
260 Beaver Dam Rd.
7a-Visible From Road
Side-gabled outbuilding with concrete foundation located in the rear (south) lot with wood shingles covering the west façade and flush board siding on the other three elevations. The roof is asphalt shingle, set in a plain fashion. The door on the façade is half-glazed with plain trim.
8d-Board & Batten
painted wood shingle, sawed, coursed
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
asphalt shingle, plain
The central unit has a poured concrete foundation. The screened porch addition, on the north façade, has wooden piers.
one-over-one double-hung sash and six-over-six double-hung sash windows
There is one entrance on the north façade (screened porch), another on the west elevation, and two shed-roofed entrances with a closed rail on the south elevation.
exterior rear (south) end-wall chimney composed of concrete block
Screened and enclosed porch additions on the façade (north) and west elevation, respectively.
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
[Adjacent to and associated with the St. James Episcopal Church.]
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
Historic and Architectural Importance
According to current resident, Saint James Episcopal Church acquired the building and property ca. 1960. Before this time, the building was privately owned.
Gottfried, Herbert and Jan Jennings. American Vernacular Design, 1870-1940. New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1985