The information in this form is based on information in the original South Shore Estuary Survey. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are enclosed either in [square brackets] or are clearly indicated as updates in the text.. Since the surveys were conducted in the Summer of 2004, the information reflects that time period unless otherwise noted. Because the South Shore Estuary Survey report format is not entirely consistent with the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey formats, there are a few additional fields on this page not found on the original forms. The original South Shore Estuary Survey Report is available as a PDF document by clicking on the below.
7 Locust Rd.
Brookhaven, NY 11719
Brookhaven, NY 11719
178 Old Stump Rd. - Kresse House
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
178 Old Stump Rd.
7a-Visible From Road
8d-Board & Batten
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
Original WWI Army structure altered to a residence about 1921.
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
Department of the Army, USA
Historic and Architectural Importance
According to current homeowner, Barbara Anne Kresse, the building at 178 Old Stump Road was one of many temporary buildings from the U.S. Army’s Camp Upton, presently the site of Brookhaven National Laboratory, which was converted into a residence. Camp Upton was one of sixteen cantonments erected across the country to train the New York area inductees when the United States entered the First World War in 1917. With the war’s end in November of 1918, the Army decided that Camp Upton was of no further use and deactivated the camp. In August of 1921, a public auction emptied the Yaphank base of all its contents including household wares and appliances to complete structures.
Original owners Carrie and George Nesbitt, then Michael and Mary Grodeski Embro. Since 1971, Barbara Anne Kresse.
Barbara Anne Kresse