The information in this form is based on information in the original South Shore Estuary Survey. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are enclosed either in [square brackets] or are clearly indicated as updates in the text.. Since the surveys were conducted in the Summer of 2004, the information reflects that time period unless otherwise noted. Because the South Shore Estuary Survey report format is not entirely consistent with the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey formats, there are a few additional fields on this page not found on the original forms. The original South Shore Estuary Survey Report is available as a PDF document by clicking on the below.
Port Washington, NY 11050
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
In the rear (north) lot, at the end of a north-south gravel drive along the building’s west elevation, sits a front-gabled garage with a poured concrete foundation, wood shingle cladding on its (north) façade, and asphalt roof shingles. Pink stucco covers the west and east elevations. The south façade has a circular gable louver and double cross batten swing garage doors with iron strap hinges.
Building Dimensions: 23’ x 55’. No. of Floors: 2
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
ca. 1936 [see supplemental material for updated comment]
Historic and Architectural Importance
According to homeowner, Jane Knapp, at 17 Ocean Place, the building at 15 Ocean Place was originally covered with pink stucco. This wall cladding now exists only on the west and east elevations of the front-gabled garage in its rear (north) lot.
[It is said that the three houses on Ocean Place were built in the 1920s. and they are thought to have been "kits," i.e., they arrived unassembled by train. They've been added on to and changed over the years but seemed to have survived many a storm, including the Hurricane of 1938.
The Post-Morrow Foundation owns two vacant lots in between two of the three houses (the most easterly one and the middle one. They also own one other lot at the east end of the row of the three houses.]