Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.
Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.
Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.
Building-Structure Inventory Form
Smith house [Fire Place Inn]
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Town Hall 205 S. Ocean Ave. Patchogue, NY 11772 631-634-7806
Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Smith house [Fire Place Inn]
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
residence [see supplemental]
7a-Visible From Road
8d-Board & Batten
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
Gable addition on west end with modern window. Porch added on front of main house. First floor windows altered. Chimneys gone. [The east side of the house off the living room was, at one time, a sun room with all windows. (Leming)]
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
This house is located on South Country Road, formerly the Montauk Highway, in the Hamlet of Brookhaven. [All the surrounding property belonged to the Smith family at one time. (Leming)]
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
This house probably belonged to J. B. Smith in 1850 (According to the 1850 U. S. Census of Suffolk County.
Historic and Architectural Importance
1 1/2 story, 4 bay, gable roof house with high roof plate. 1 1/2 gable roof wing on west with gable end to street. 3 small low-level windows under the eaves. Doorway with pilasters. Brick foundation. Typical of many of the early nineteenth century houses in the area, of which few remain.
Map of Suffolk County, by J. L. Chace, New York: 1858. Repository: Bellport Historical Society.
Atlas of L.I., N.Y., by F. W. Beers, New York: Beers, Comstock & Cline, 1873
[Email: Joyce de Arcas Leming, 31 Jan 2004]
Ellen Williams, research assistant.
It was operated as a guest house by Amy B. Smith de Arcas, probably in the early 20th century, who called it "Fire Place Inn."
There is evidence, not yet confirmed, that Esther Hayes Wickham also may have operated it as a guest house doing business as the "Beaver Dam Lodge" from perhaps about 1925 until about 1929. She later had a business as an agent for a dress manufacturing company at the same location.
Old Purchase Properties listing, 2015: "This classic colonial is situated on 1.4 acres of beautifully landscaped property. Open kitchen with vaulted ceiling. Formal dining room, living room with fireplace and beamed ceiling. Enclosed porch with radiant heat. Powder room and rear deck. Upstairs are 3 bedrooms, one bath with washer and dryer, and one bath with jacuzzi tub and radiant heat. Partial basement.,/p>
Legal guest cottage with front deck, private entrance and parking... perfect for guests or income. Large barn suitable for studio. Garden shed for tools and/or bikes." Listing price: $549,000.