Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.
Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.
Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.
Building-Structure Inventory Form
Hubert house "Whynot"
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Town Hall 205 S. Ocean Ave. Patchogue, NY 11772 631-634-7806
Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Hubert house "Whynot"
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
J. McNeil, Phil Rubin
residence and barn
two separate residences
7a-Visible From Road
8d-Board & Batten
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
9a- east section
Barn converted to summer residence early 1900s. Main house central section added late 19th c. and west section 1940s.
Photo & Map
may be divided
Related Outbuildings and Property
heavily wooded, on high rise overlooking road
Surroundings of the Building
working farm across the street
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
This house is located on South Country Road, formerly the Montauk Highway, in the Hamlet of Brookhaven.
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
east section 1830s; mid section c. 1880s
Maust, architect for the west section addition
Historic and Architectural Importance
2 1/2 story, three bay, gambrel roof, Colonial Revival house with sweeping Dutch-style roof on south façade covering wide porch with three large French windows. Second floor porch on south projecting from main roof in dormer form. 4/4 balcon fenetee windows. Lunette in attic. Brick foundation. 1 1/2 story gable roof wing on east is actually the older section, built c. 1836. Porch and dormer added later, and windows changed to 4/4. 2 1/2 story addition on NW is modern addition.
[By the early 20th century, the residence was occupied by the Dr. Nathaniel Matson, a prominent physician of Brooklyn, NY, probably as a Summer residence.]
[In 1933 it was recorded as being occupied by Philip A. Hubert and called "Whynot."]
On the NE stands a large barn, converted in early 1900s to a summer residence; it is now separately owned. [The barn-house was named "Barnstead" by the Hubert family and was used as kitchen, an "overflow" bedroom for the Hubert children as the family grew, and as a guest house. Near to "Barnstead" is a small outbuilding that the Huberts called the slave house. The Hubert family garage has, in more modern times, been modified as a guest house. Both barn and garage are currently (2004) under common ownership]
[The Hubert property originally extended from South Country Road through to Beaverdam Rd., and included about 25 acres. It included several other dwellings, including one for his son, Philip A. Hubert, Jr. and a small cottage near Beaver Dam Road for the pianist Carol Robinson, where she lived after she had to vacate the cottage down near Beaverdam Creek (Br09E); this house subsequently was destroyed by fire and a modern house is now on the site. Also on the estate were several barns and outbuildings, some of which have been converted to residences.]
[There is evidence, such as 19th century maps and newspaper notes, that suggest that the original "core" section of the modern house and out buildings were originally the home and farmstead for the Cornelius Corson family, farmers who settled in Brookhaven Hamlet about 1858, perhaps around the time of Cornelius' marriage. More research is required to determine the early 19th century history,]
Atlas of the Ocean Shore of Suffolk, L.I. easterly section, Vol. I, Pl. 10, E. Belcher-Hyde, 1915.
LI Advance 2 Oct 2008, From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago. Residence name and occupant reported.
LI Advance 1 Oct 2009. From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago. "Mr. And Mrs Philip A. Hubert and family have closed 'Whynot' and returned to their Brooklyn residence. They will open their smaller cottage, 'Barnstead,' for weekends."