Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.
Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.
Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.
Building-Structure Inventory Form
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Town Hall 205 S. Ocean Ave. Patchogue, NY 11772 631-634-7806
Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Hamlet of Brookhaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
7a-Visible From Road
8d-Board & Batten
horizontal board ("novelty board")
9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints
9b-Wood Frame Light Members
This house reportedly was taken off a high foundation. It was moved from South Country Road to its present location.
Photo & Map
Related Outbuildings and Property
Surroundings of the Building
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
This house is located on Fireplace Neck Road near the site of the first school built in 1802. [And adjacent to the Hulse Cemetery.]
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
This house marked Breckenridge in 1873 was located on South Country Road, next west of the Clark house (Br9F). In 1858, it belonged to J. Davies.
Historic and Architectural Importance
1 1/2 story, 3 bay, side entrance plan, high roof plate, gable roof house with 3 small windows under the eaves in wide frieze, and pilasters at corners. Front entrance with pilasters and cornice (sunburst added) and heavy paneled door. 6/6 windows.
Book of photographs of old Fireplace, collected by George Morse formerly of Beaver Dam Road, Repository: Brookhaven Free Library.
Atlas of L.I., N.Y., by F.W. Beers, New York: Beers, Comstock and Cline, 1873, inset p. 171
** ["Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." Repository: Post-Morrow Foundation, RG1 Series 10.
Ellen Williams, research assistant.
** [George Perley Morse indicates -- "This house was the home of Sam Breckenridge (Sam Bumstead's grandfather) who came from Brooklyn, N. Y. and first lived down Mott's Lane on the old Mott farm. The house stood on north side of South Country Road about opposite the old Seaman farm. It is shown on map of 1873 as west of D. M. Clark. Note that it was built somewhat like a 'city' house.
"The top part of this house is now located on Fireplace Neck Road, next to the Hulse Cemetery, and is now the home of Miss Frances Hand."]