Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.
Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments.
Sites which have a suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.
Building-Structure Inventory Form
Theodosia Carman house
If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Town Hall 205 S. Ocean Ave. Patchogue, NY 11772 631-634-7806
Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Theodosia Carman house
Hamlet of Southaven
If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District
This structure is located in Southaven, which was first settled in the eighteenth century.
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
The property on wehich nthe house sits was gifted to Theodosie (Carman) Smith by her father Samuel Carmen, Sr.. in 1821. The house was said to have been built for her as a wedding present by her father, Samuel Carman, Sr., who owned Carman's Mills. The 1797 Hulse Map of the Town of Brookhaven indicates a dwelling house at a location near that which on later maps is identified as belonging to Theodocia, If this house was a wedding present, it is unlikely the same one shown on the 1797 map. See Richard Thomas' history in Other Documents section.
perhaps before 1797, more likely early 19th century, say 1818-1821
Samuel Carman Sr.
Historic and Architectural Importance
2 1/2 story, 3 bay, gable roof, brick, Greek Revival house with 4 bay, 1 1/2 story, brick, gable roof wing on west with 4 small windows under the eaves. Brick pilasters on main house. Wide-frieze cornice with returns. Dentiles under gable eaves, and 4 low-level windows in the frieze.
The "block and wing" style was popular from the late eighteenth century into the middle of the nineteenth.The "block" or "upright" section is called a "two-story, three-bay, half house" and is a common Long Island house type.
It's called a "half-house" because of the asymmetrical arrangement of three bays. Instead of being a five-bay house with a center entrance and hall, the entrance is at one side. (It should really be called a 3/5ths house.) A "half house" has a side hall instead of a central hall. Like a full house, the long axis, rather than a gabled end, of the half house faces the road.
The "two-story, three-bay, half-house" was popular during the late colonial, Georgian, and Federal periods.
Brick houses of this era are unusual on Long Island, being considerably more expensive to build than wood framed structures.
"U.S. Coast Survey Map," No. 58, 1836-38. Repository: Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
"U.S. Census for 1850," p. 202, repository: Library, SUNY at Stony Brook. [See this site for transcript.
1797 Isaac Hulse Map of the Town of Brookhaven
Ellen Williams, research assistant. Revised J. Deitz
Photo from Pratt Album. Theodosia Carman house now owned by Cestra family taken from SW, front.