Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Return to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form. Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made. Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material. Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, much of the information reflects that time period.

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of “S” are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form




Click for

Photos and images
Other Links
Printer Friendly


Submitter Name:
Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:
Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772
Brookhaven Community Development Agency


South Haven Hamlet District
Hamlet of Southaven


South Haven is approximately 5 square miles in area. It is bounded on the east by Carman's River; on the west by Old Stump/Yaphank road; on the north by Southaven Park; and on the south also by the Carman's River. Settlers first came in the eighteenth century to this fertile farm land which rests on an important river. The Montauk Highway runs through the middle of Southaven. Part of it has become the Southaven Park, owned by Suffolk County.


Southaven was first settled in the early 1700s. It is one of the earliest settlements on the south shore of Long Island, due to its location on the river. It was first known as "the South" and Fireplace, and the families came here from the settlements at Setauket. The Presbyterian Church was first built in 1728, the the Southaven Mills (later known as Carman's Mills) were built before 1745. Through the old South Country Road, now called Montauk Highway, and the Sunrise Highway, run through Southaven, it remains largely undeveloped until the present time. A large portion north of the Sunrise Highway is preserved as a park, and a very large tract is preserved in the Wertheim Refuge, south of Montauk Highway.

5- Map

N.Y.S. DOT Bellport Quad See attached.


"Map of the County of Suffolk" by David M. Burr published by the Surveyor General, New York: Rawden, Wright & Co., 1797. Repository, Floyd House, Mastic, N.Y. Bigelow, Stephanie. "Bellport and Brookhaven," Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society, 1968.

7-Threats to Area

By Zoning
By Roads
By Developers
By Deterioration

8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area



Photos and images

Prepared By

Ellen Williams, research assistant

Supplemental Material

1910: Town Board decides that highway at the going-over bridge crossing the Carmen's River should be straightened. "The Town Board and Superintendent of Highways convened at Patchogue on Monday and proceeded to Southaven to investigate the condition of the highway crossing the bridge at Carman's River. After a thorough examination of the existing conditions, it was the sense of the board that the highway should be straightened to meet the requirements for safety of the increased travel over said highway." The Port Jefferson Echo, Saturday, September 24, 1910.