From Love Your Latte? Learn the History of Coffee :
"In 1901, just-add-hot water "instant" coffee was invented by Japanese American chemist Satori Kato of Chicago. In 1906, English chemist George Constant Washington, invented the first mass-produced instant coffee. Washington was living in Guatemala and at the time when he observed dried coffee on his coffee carafe, after experimenting he created "Red E Coffee" - the brand name for his instant coffee first marketed in 1909. In 1938, Nescafe or freeze-dried coffee was invented."
"In 1906 a Belgian-born English chemist named George Washington, who was living in Guatemala City at the time, invented a method to make instant coffee. In 1909 Washington began to market his new product, called Red E Coffee, in the United Sates. From then until shortly before the start of World War II, the G. Washington Coffee Refining Company dominated the instant-coffee market."
Patchogue Advance, 4 June 1937, p. 12:
From the Files
Fifteen Years Ago—June 2, 1922
"A great deal of work is now being done on the handsome estate of George Washington at Bellport, that is affording employment for many hands. It is one of the most interesting estates on the island, as it is stocked with a variety of birds, fowl and animals seldom seen outside of a zoo."
Patchogue Advance, 1 Mar 1927, page1:
Washington Place, Bellport, Bought for a Country Club
Million Dollar Deal Includes Home in Brooklyn
Important early season news indicating a big summer for Bellport is breaking, the reports including a resale of the large George Washington estate to a Brooklyn group for club purposes, ....
The parties in the Washington deal have kept the names of the purchasers in the dark, but it is said that the group has bought not only the Bellport place with its big house and extensive farm on which Mr. Washington has for years maintained a famous private zoological garden, but also his Brooklyn house at 47 Prospect Park West, corner of First Street.
The Park Slope house is to be used as winter headquarters for the organization and the Bellport estate will be developed into one of the finest country clubs in the state. Mr. Washington is quoted as saying that the new club already has enough members to consummate the deal, which runs close to the million-dollar mark.
The city house is of white stone, occupying half a block frontage. Mr. Washington, who is widely known as a coffee manufacturer, bought it in 1915 from Alfred Feltman, a prominent Coney Island business man.
The Washington estate in Bellport was reported sold last year to another party but the deal fell through. It is said that a deposit of about $25,000 and commissions were involved in that abortive transaction, with which the present one has apparently no connection.
.... (article continues with unrelated material on other sales).
Patchogue Advance, 29 April 1927, p. 14:
"A large sign has been placed on the George Washington estate reading, 'The Park Club House.' The iron gates now swing open for public inspection of the premises, and many visitors have passed through during the opening days. The shrubbery and flowers are most beautiful and Brookhaven is proud of this beautiful clubhouse.
Patchogue Advance, 8 November 1927, p. 1:
Animals Coming Back to George Washington Farm
The menagerie which for many years graced the expansive George Washington estate on the Montauk Highway between Bellport and Brookhaven is being brought back and already a large number of sheep are grazing on the property. The estate has been reported sold a number of times and one project was to develop it into a country club, but the venture apparently fell through. Now Mr. Washington is again conducting the estate and the animals are being sent back to be in charge of a caretaker.
Patchogue Advance, 15 April 1938, p. 2:
Placed on Probation For Taking Fixtures
Pleading guilty after charges of unlawful entry had been reduced before Justice of the Peace Donald W. Shaw of Bellport, Theodore L. Arthur, aged 27, of Sentuck avenue, Eastport, and Christian B. Westerhoff, 34, of East Moriches, each received a six-month probationary sentence.
They were arrested by Brookhaven Twon police on the complaint of Harry Stevenson, caretaker of the George Washington estate on South Country road, Brookhaven.
Stevenson alleged that Arthur and Westerhoff came to the Washington estate to get an ice box and before leaving they took two soapstone wash tubs and plumbing fixtures from a building ion the estate.
In Arthur's case, the unlawful entry charge was reduced to petty larceny and disorderly conduct. Westerhoff was permitted to plead to a disorderly conduct charge.
Patchogue Advance, 24 June 1938, p. 10:
"Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Merkel and their ten-year old son, Kenneth, Jr., of Morristown, N.J. are putting the George Washington estate on South Country road in order and will make it their home. The house has been vacant for some years and while it is being made ready for occupancy they are living in the superintendent's cottage. Among other improvements, they plan to repair the large swimming pool for their own use. Mrs. Merkel is a younger sister of George Washington, Sr."
Patchogue Advance, 1 July 1938, p. 5:
"Mr. and Mrs. Merkel of Morristown, N.J., who will spend the summer on the George Washington estate, are now the guests of Mr. and Mrs. H. Y. Stevenson of Brookhaven, while the house in which they expect to live, is undergoing repairs."
Patchogue Advance, 5 August 1938, p. 4:
"Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Merkel are entertaining Mr. and Mrs. Gerard J. Danco of Morristown, N.J., at the George Washington estate. Mrs. Merkel's nieces, Martha and Virginia Washington, of Morristown, are also staying there."
Patchogue Advance, 19 July 1940, p. 1:
Action Deferred On Grievance Day 28 Applications
."A similar grievance was voiced by Mr. Gerard on behalf of the George Washington property, consisting of 39.36 acres of property situated on the north side of South Country road, Brookhaven, which has an assessed valuation of $26,500, covering land and buildings. Referring to the 48.73 per cent yardstick figure, Mr. Gerard stated that the present market value of this property is $15,000."